Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you?

My friend Angela posted her tribute to those who have fallen on that horrific morning of September 11, 2001.  So to follow her lead – I REMEMBER…

 

On the morning of September 11, 2001 – I had gotten my boys off to school and for some reason I just wasn’t feeling well.  I went back to lay down for a couple of hours to see if I could get my batteries a little more charged.  I woke from a deep sleep to a friend of mine in Florida asking if I were ok.  A bit dazed from having just woken up, I assured her I was fine and that I was just taking a little nap.  It was then she realized I didn’t have a clue what was going on.

 

My friend told me to flip on the television – this was just after the first tower had been struck.  While I was talking to her, the second tower was hit.  I knew a mutual friend of ours, a friend that had helped me through some very rough times, was schedule to attend a meeting at The WTC that morning.  I asked her if she’d heard from him.  The answer was No.

 

For the next three days, my eyes were glued to the television as I sat next to the phone.  I’d made several calls to my friends’ cell phone knowing that he could not return my call, but I needed to be in contact some way.

 

On the third day following the attacks on America, I’d mentally and physically collapsed.  I fell asleep in the chair right next to the phone and didn’t even hear it ring.  My son answered the phone and I awoke to him screaming our friends’ name.  He was alive and well.  He’d just gotten out of the second tower and he and some other visitors took a car out to Long Island.  From there they rented a car and drove home.

 

Once my friend had called and I knew he was ok, I loaded up my kids and headed down to Kentucky to be with my mom and stepfather.  Kentucky is such a beautiful place and where I was headed was so far back in the sticks – I knew no man’s army was going there!  They wouldn’t even be able to find a full set of teeth let alone anything worth taking from America further.

 

I feared for my family, I feared for my children and I feared for myself.  I remember wondering just what kind of world I’d brought my children in to.  At that point, I realized just how valuable my boys and life were and for the first time in my entire life, I paid close attention to the actions of our nations leaders and making note of what I felt in my heart needed to change.  I registered to vote!

 

Having worked in STD Support and Outreach for so long, I’d developed several friendships with many others in New York.  Individually, I’d email each one leaving them a note asking them to simply reply with an “I’m O.K.” if they could.  I needed to know that everyone I knew and their families were accounted for.

 

I never realized how small the world had become to me, until I began the efforts to find those who’d grown near and dear.

 

Over the course of several weeks each one responded.  Many of them had friends or family in the WTC and my heart ached for them from miles and miles away.

 

I’ll not turn a memorial tribute into a political rant, but over the next couple of years, you can bet I will be watching closely, taking note and speaking my mind on what I feel qualifies and disqualifies a politician to take the role as leader of The U.S.A.

 

God Bless the friends and families of those who claimed their wings and took their place among the Angels in Heaven on September 11, 2001 and God Bless America that we too may one day unite with all those who’ve given their lives to protect our freedoms since.

 

Gayla

0 are talkin':